Four homesteaders were paid varying sums from $50 - $1,200 to transferred portions of their land holdings northwest of Stillwater for the 200-acre campus and agricultural experiment station.
The southern portion of the 200-acre tract came from the claims of homesteaders Frank E. Duck (left) and Alfred N. Jarrell (right).
Duck himself graduated with the class of 1896 along with Jarrell's son Alfred. Alfred would return to the campus on several occassions, including his 50-year class reunion and the groundbreaking for the Edmon Low Library.
Jarrell's daughter Mary (class of 1903) also made lasting contributions to the institution.
The land just north of Duck and Jarrell's property came from Charles A. Vreeland who gave 40 acres and Oscar M. Morse who gave 80 acres.