As early as 1896, Dr. Lowery Lamon (L. L.) Lewis, who had recently been appointed professor of veterinary medicine, began teaching a course in veterinary science to offer agricultural students practical information about dealing with diseases among domestic animals. While Lewis was making solid progress in years of efforts to get a veterinary school off the ground, any momentum was stopped by his death in 1922. It would be up to his assistant at the time, Clarence McElroy, to help make the school a reality more than 20 years later in 1948. Early records indicate a veterinary and zoology laboratory was housed in a frame structure in the 1890s near the present day Morrill Hall. The building shown above was located near Cordell Hall in the early 1900s and was known as the Veterinary Hospital. It was possibly the third veterinary structure at the time.