Angelo C. Scott, the first classroom teacher of journalism at the Oklahoma A & M College, served as its fifth president from 1899-1908.
Scott, who also taught English and literature, believed in the special agricultural and mechanical emphasis of the college, but he planned to broaden its scope and shape all education for the practical welfare of the public. He hired young scholars from major universities to join an experienced faculty base and the college soon excelled beyond any of the land grant counterparts in surrounding states and territories.
The first railroad service in Stillwater provided transportation for students while allowing the Agricultural Experiment Station to send its specialists to farmers throughout the territory.
It was during Scott’s tenure that Oklahoma A & M College began to be called the “Princeton of the Prairies.” Scott wrote the school's first fight song and helped plan the construction of Morrill Hall.