In 1902, the "farmers and blacksmiths" from the small college on the prairie in Payne County won the Douglas Cup, after the track team was victorious in the Oklahoma Intercollegiate Athletic Association Meet for the third time.
The modest silver cup (pictured), which was less than a foot high, was the first championship team trophy won by the college (click photo to enlarge).
The cup is held by Dr. Lowery L. Lewis for whom Lewis Stadium was later named.
It was also in 1902 that the faculty suspended the playing of football due to the death of a player. An additional photo shows the team was back in action by 1904.