Following dogged work by Oklahoma A&M College President Dr. Henry Bennett and his general assistant, L. Keith Covelle, the university secured the former Glennan Army Hospital and its 80 barrack-like buildings (pictured) as a vocational training facility for veterans.
Opening October 3, 1946, the Oklahoma A&M College’s School of Technical Training at Okmulgee was an immediate hit with returning World War II veterans with over 500 enrolled by the end of the first trimester. Most of the first programs offered were about two years in length.
Covelle, (see photos) who served as the institution’s first director, is credited with establishing an effective organizational structure for the school and setting a progressive standard for future administrators.
Now known as the OSU Institute of Technology, it has a sterling reputation, offering several two-year programs, training for direct placement with specific companies, college credit and more.