As Oklahoma A&M College entered the postwar period, various programs to help veterans get an education prompted a need for extra housing. The college purchased war surplus housing and moved it to Stillwater and in 1946 the first residents, Mr. and Mrs. Leonard West, moved into Veterans Village on the northwest corner of campus.
Although these Quonset huts and frame buildings (1,290 living units) were supposed to be temporary solutions, but some were still in use years later. By 1949, the village had a population of 5,000 and had incorporated as a municipality. Residents had their own laundry, post office, grocery store, fire station, recreation center, nursery, and maintenance shop.
A sense of community pervaded the mini-city. One of its mayors announced the birth of his son by flying over the village in a red monoplane and dropping twelve boxes of cigars and gum on delighted residents. Teaming with children, pets and cars, the village evoked a sense of optimism, of family and camaraderie.