The Classroom building opened for classes in 1952. Built at an estimated cost of $850,000, the building included a basement and four stories and was designed to duplicate its companion to the north, the Engineering Building. Three floors were devoted to classrooms, with an estimated capacity of about 1,800. A 50-by78-foot auditorium accommodated 385. The fourth floor provided 15 offices. Staffs of the college architect, physical plant director and university publicity department were initially housed in the basement.