Clemon “Pinky” Norcross gathered 11 musical mates, most from the old Jan Price Band, to form a dance band he named The Varsitonians Orchestra.
Norcross purchased a top-of-the-line public address system, and his orchestra was a hit from its first performance. It played student functions, fraternity dances, the Campus Club and other student organization events.
In November 1934, the orchestra toured the southeastern United States and headed southwest the next spring. It also began remote broadcasts that spring on KVOO radio from the small college extension studio in Whitehurst Hall.
The band remained popular in various versions until it disbanded in 1954.
See related videos and STATE magazine feature.