OSU was named one of 11 Diversity Champions in the nation by Insight Into Diversity magazine. The magazine’s publisher called OSU “a visionary leader” that “develops successful strategies which serve as models of excellence for other higher education institutions.” The honor places OSU in the top tier of the magazine’s 80 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award recipients. It is the sixth consecutive year that OSU has received the HEED Award. The magazine also ranks OSU among the top-100 degree producing universities for the number of African American, American Indian, Asian American, and Latino graduates across multiple degree fields.
OSU is tied for the highest number of Native Americans earning bachelor degrees in engineering, and leads the country in engineering technology degrees, according to data from the American Society of Engineering Education. In addition, national surveys continue to show that OSU is the leading land-grant university for Native American student enrollment in the United States.
Additional diversity and inclusion honors over the last year:
- 2017 Dr. Frank W. Hale, Jr. Distinguished Service Award to Dr. Jason F. Kirksey (see photo), vice president for the Division of Institutional Diversity and chief diversity officer at OSU
- 2017 Minority Access, Inc., selects OSU for the National Role Model Award
- 2017 OSU receives the Roosevelt Thomas Champion of Diversity Award from the American Association for Access, Equity and Diversity.
- 2017 Award for Distinguished Contributions to Diversity in Pediatric Psychology from the American Psychological Association goes to OSU Regents Professor John Chaney for directing the American Indians Into Psychology program.
- 2016 and 2017 Mosaic Five-star Inclusive Workplace Culture Award from the Tulsa Chamber of Commerce’s diversity business council.
- 2016 The National Science Foundation awards a $1 million “bridge to the doctorate grant to Dr. Jason F. Kirksey to provide underrepresented minority students with grants to pursue doctorates in science, technology, engineering and math fields.
- 2016 OSU becomes Oklahoma’s first university to be designated a Purple Heart University
- 2016 National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education Institutional Excellence Award
- 2016 Southwest Minority Supplier Development Council Corporation of the Year Award
- 2016 Minority Access, Inc. Institution Committed to Diversity Award