1895 First photographed gathering at the Central Building

When the college moved into its first permanent building in 1894, only a major in agriculture was offered, but specializations in engineering and home economics were in the planning stages. The faculty and administration gathered for a first photo in the Central Building in 1895. Edmund D. Murdaugh was president of the college (from January to June). The photo includes, left to right, Frank A. Waugh, horticulture; Freeman L Miller, English and literature; Harry L Thompson, preparatory department principal; Ella L Hunter, preparatory department instructor; James C. Neal, natural sciences and Agricultural Experiment Station director; Taiwell M. Upshaw, college secretary; Alexander C. Magruder, agriculture; Edmund D. Murdaugh, president; Edward K Clark, mathematics; and George L. Holter, chemistry and physics.

Related Links