Considered one of Oklahoma A&M College's greatest early educators and the father of veterinary medicine in Oklahoma, Dr. Lowery Lamon Lewis was honored by students who dedicated the college's first yearbook to him in 1910.
The senior class wrote that "no more worthy person could have been selected upon whom to confer this parting tribute of respect and affection than good old Doc Lew."
Lewis helped decide where to place the football field, which was situated in a north-south position, north of Morrill Hall.
As a coach for early-day athletics, Lewis had been an integral part of the campus for fourteen years when in 1910 the Athletic Association heartily endorsed the suggestion to honor him by naming the athletic grounds Lewis Field. The new name was made official during the 1913-1914 academic year.