Dr. Lowery L. Lewis was appointed dean of both the School of Veterinary Medicine and the School of Science and Literature, as well as the acting director of the Agriculture Experiment Station before serving as interim president at Oklahoma A&M College in 1914.
He served as state veterinarian and though his dream for a vet school at Oklahoma A&M never came to fruition in his lifetime, he instructed hundreds of students over the years in practical animal science. He also inspired one of them--Clarence McElroy--to become a veterinarian. McElroy was named dean of the vet school when it opened in 1948.
Lewis, who also coached track, football and baseball as needed, contacted a math instructor on campus to help layout the football field and the project became part of the students’ course work.
Grateful for his coaching and teaching skills, students named the first football field in his honor in 1910. It ran north and south and was located near the present site of the School of Architecture. Though the next field was moved to its current east to west location, it was also called Lewis Field.
Lewis died at his home in Stillwater, September 26, 1922. His death apparently left the baseball team without a coach and it soon disbanded until 1934 when coach Henry Iba began recruiting players.