The first departments began occupying the new Home Economics Building in January of 1921. The new facility more than doubled the available instruction, research and office area. Two large food preparation laboratories and a textile laboratory were planned for the first floor. Dining halls-one with a fireplace-were placed adjacent to the food labs. Three sewing demonstration rooms were the main feature on the second floor along with a lecture hall. The top floor housed a costume design room, two more lecture rooms, a home nursing room and a new location for the art department. Three rooms were available for use as art studios.