The new Chemistry-Physics Building, soon renamed the Physical Sciences Building, was completed to try to address overcrowded conditions.
Even before it was officially dedicated on May 9, 1959, the building was filled to capacity.
The photo pictures President Oliver Willham holding an image of the new building and an unidentified individual with a check in his hand.
Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education allocated $1,500,000 for the building as well as funding for a veterinary medicine addition and repairs and modernization work. The source was state bond funds.